THE NEW Great Lakes BRAL Contest IS HERE!
The National Federations of the Blind of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York have joined together to offer the first annual Great Lakes regional Braille Readers Are Leaders contest for kids, grades K-12. Contestants compete to read the most Braille pages, going against other kids in similar grades across all eight states. The contest runs for 7 weeks, encouraging kids to be proud of their Braille reading ability and to work to improve their skills — while possibly winning prizes in the process.
A thumbnail sketch of the contest:
- A certifying official (parent, teacher, etc.) should fill out and submit a registration form. This can be done as early as November 1, 2016, and as late as January 20, 2017.
- Kids enter in one of five grade categories: K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8, & 9-12.
- Record Braille pages read between December 1, 2016, and January 20, 2017, on a reading log.
- The certifying official should submit the reading log form by February 1, 2017.
- Prizes in each grade category are: first, $25; second, $15; third, $10.
- Every contestant, whether a winner or not, will receive a goodie bag at the end of the contest.
To get the complete contest rules, registration form, and the reading log form, visit the website, https://www.nfbofillinois.org/great-lakes-bral-contest.
Both the registration form and the reading log form should be submitted by email as attachments to email@example.com. Please put BRAL in the subject line.
If you have questions, contact the contest administrator:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put BRAL in the subject line.
phone number: 773-203-1394
- Great Lakes BRAL contest flier 2016-17 (Word format)
- Great Lakes BRAL Contest Complete Contest Rules 16-17 (Rich Text Format)
- Sources for Braille childrens books (RTF)
- Great Lakes BRAL Registration Form 16-17 (Ritch Text Format)
- Great Lakes BRAL Reading Log 16-17 (Rich Text Format)
2017 Contest Winners
Grades K – 1:
- First Place: Shaelin Shakespeare – Aliquippa, PA
- Second Place: Elizabeth Fitzgerald – Kalamazoo, MI
- Third Place: Maxwell Clements – Portage, MI
Grades 2 – 3:
- First Place: Mackenzie Karbash – Delavan, WI
- Second Place: Mariam Samura – Oneida, NY
- Third Place: Andrew Godwin – Bristol, PA
Grades 4 – 5:
- First Place: Jacob Cole – Painted Post, NY
- Second Place: Jake LaVeck – Champaign, IL
- Third Place: Isaac Raske – Wheaton, IL
Grades 6 – 8:
- First Place: Anthony (LT) Spears – Mattoon, IL
- Second Place: Matthew Leinart – Downers Grove, IL
- Third Place: Andrea Cataquiz – Glendale Heights, IL
Grades 9 – 12:
- First Place: Phuong Nguyen – Bloomington, MN